Friday 22 June 2007

Boycotting Hair Dye – save your money - save your health

I was paying $150+ on getting my hair colored and highlighted (which is bargain shopping compared to some of the woman we all know), when I finally woke up one day. Why am I coloring my hair a slightly different variation of my own natural hair color, and putting toxic cancer causing chemicals on my scalp while I’m at it? And am PAYING for it to boot!!

I was telling this guy about the fiasco at my hair dressers, when he asked me what my natural hair color was. I paused for a second, thinking to myself, what difference does it make? And then I had to look down at my hair and think for a second. I had been coloring my hair since high school. I told him “I think it’s pretty close to this color” with which he replied “so then why do you color it?”.

The truth of the matter is that most men don’t even notice a good dye job, much less appreciate it.

We take time out of our day, away from our work, away from our families, to drive to the salon and put chemicals on our heads.

So I started to do a little research about putting all of those chemicals right on your noggin. Well it turns out that hair dressers have MUCH higher incidences of certain kinds of cancer, believed to be linked to the chemicals in the hair dye.

That was enough for me. I now buy a $17 box of ORGANIC hair dye from Whole Foods (only because I’m vain and I have a few grey hairs), and no one has noticed the difference. If fact, I often get complimented on my hair!

No comments: